Auto Accident Statistics
Palm Springs Car Accident Attorneys
When you look at the statistics regarding auto accidents in Palm Springs, California, it is easy to see why these are the primary source of personal injury claims and lawsuits throughout the U.S. Following are some car accident, truck accident, motorcycle accident, pedestrian accident and bicycle accident statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the California Highway Patrol (CHP):
- There were 7 fatal auto accidents in Palm Springs in 2007
- That same year, there were 427 auto accident injuries and 270 auto accidents that resulted in property damage.
- In 2008, there were over 5.8 million traffic accidents throughout the U.S.
- 37,261 people were killed and 2,346,000 people lost their lives in traffic accidents nationwide in 2008.
- Of the people who lost their lives in auto accidents in 2008:
- 14,587 were occupants of passenger cars;
- 677 were occupants of large trucks (weighing more than 10,000 pounds);
- 10,764 were occupants of light trucks (weighing less than 10,000 pounds);
- 5,290 were motorcyclists;
- 716 were bicyclists; and
- 4,378 were pedestrians.
- 1,304,000 people injured in auto accidents in 2008 were occupants of passenger cars.
- There were 11,773 traffic fatalities that resulted from drunk driving accidents in 2008, representing 32% of the total fatalities of the year.
- Speeding is considered to be one of the most prevalent causes of traffic accidents and are counted as a contributing factor in approximately 31% of all fatal auto accidents.
- There were 3,434 traffic fatalities in California in 2008 alone, the highest number of all states.
Your initial consultation with an attorney at Cohn & Swartzon is free. For more information about auto accidents and how our firm can help you, contact a Palm Springs auto accident lawyer today!